19 November 2011

Civic Duty?

Today I called the cops for the first time. I've lived in really safe places my whole life (except for maybe Sao Paolo....that was a little sketchy at times) and I've never really felt unsafe.

I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that there was a sketchy kid hanging around my apartment complex and I decided that the cops should come by just to check things out.

I got a call a couple hours later from an officer informing me that they had caught that kid stealing and he'd been arrested.

Everyone keeps telling me good job for fulfilling my civic duty and after the cop called I felt the same way. But now I don't know. It's the same feeling of buyer's remorse. I'm not sorry that I called. I needed to. I'm just sad that someone was arrested because I called. I know that I didn't get him arrested; he got himself arrested. But it just feels like that.

I hope that I'm never in this position again. It's not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment