13 October 2009

Testimony

I had an interesting experience on Sunday. In my Doctrine and Covenants class on Thursday we talked about section 25. The whole lecture was fascinating as we talked about how this revelation, given from the Lord to Emma Smith, changed how women were viewed in the Church. We are to be equals to men throughout all the world. It isn't always that way, but the Lord was teaching us important principles and helping us to know how we should treat one another. We went over various verses about this topic and I loved the analysis of the section. I had never really given it much thought before, but the Lord really teaches Emma and Joseph about equality of gender.

But this wasn't all we talked about. We discussed the importance of the hymns. I love the hymns, but I hadn't really seen how important they were before. We do sing hymns all the time. We may not read a scripture every time we have a lesson, but we always sing a hymn to open and close. They must be pretty important to the Lord if He wants us to sing that much. Verse 12 says, "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."I love this verse. The Lord delights in the hymns and sees them as prayers.

This past Sunday was Fast and Testimony meeting, where we have the opportunity to get up and testify of what we know to be true. I did not get up this Sunday to share my testimony, but I was very edified listening to everyone else. For the closing hymn we sang "Testimony." I was humbled as we sang this hymn. The words seemed to penetrate my heart and they actually took on meaning for me. Here are the words to this hymn:

The witness ofhte Holy Ghost,
As borne by those who know,
Has lifted me again to thee,
O Father of my soul.

I know that thou are in the heav'n.
I know the Savior reigns.
I know a prophet speaks to us
For our eternal gain.

My eyes are we; my heart is full.
The Spirit speaks today.
O Lord, wilt thou my life renew
And in my bosom stay.

As testimony fills my heart,
It dulls the pain of days.
For one brief moment, heaven's view
Appears before my gaze.
--Hymns 137.

Many times I sing the hymn and don't give too much thought to the words, focusing mostly on the music. But as I sang this hymn the words seemed to say exactly what I wanted to say. This hymn is a testimony and as I sang, I knew that the Lord was hearing this hymn as a prayer unto Him. I didn't need to get up on Sunday to bear my testimony, I was able to do so through singing this hymn with my heart really in it.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Laura,

    Thank you for your sweet testimony and sharing your insights from your Doctrine and Covenants class. I enjoy reading your blog. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete